Friday, November 14, 2008

David. B

David. B, publisher of La'Association, is an amazing comic book artist. He wrote his autobiographic graphic novel 'Epileptic', which took him 20 years to start due to personal content. He visited LSU on November 12th for a lecture and had an opening at the Shaw Center, displaying My Story/ My Stories collection. He is charming! There were only 6 people in the audience during the lecture and I blame that on the location of the lecture. Instead of being in the Design Building Auditorium it was held in the LSU Auditorium, which I had trouble finding. He influenced the comic book scene tremendously in France. He tells me that me learned how to draw by starting this comic. It was very hard for him to actually start this comic because it has a lot of painful memories in it. His brother being epileptic took a toll on his family and him. David said, "The ink makes the pain go away." When he said that I wanted to hug him, it was so sincere. Drawing this comic made him realize that the only thing he could do for his brother was to tell his story, Epileptic, being the journal of his and his brothers life. "If I was not going to be a comic book artist, I wanted to be a doctor, so I could help my brother."-David. Writing this story gave him some peace of mind. I designed the poster for his lecture and he signed it for me, I will be posting that as soon as I scan it in on Monday.

No comments: